Saturday 30 May 2009

Caught Red-Handed


We go through many firsts in life: first words, first steps, first crush, first kiss, first time away from home, first rollercoaster ride (and i mean emotionally and literally) ...

Today was the first time i got caught by aussie police, and i was on a bike, not in a car! Not supercool drifting along the highways of WA, or speeding in a convertible with the wind in my hair, enjoying the thrill of the moment.
No. I was just trailing behind LAZILY, at walking pace, behind Yuqin and JinJin after our last lab session of the semester. We were on our way back to college and we weren't even on the main road. Can you guess what my offense was?

I remember many a time when i was leaving college grounds without a helmet, i would be alert, looking out for police cars. And one time i DID spot one, but i was wearing a helmet, looking like i had a tortoise sitting on my head. Hah. I was thinking. You can't get me :)

But today I wasn't the one laughing. I had already had a bad session, when the compound on my special tray broke within the last 5 minutes of the session. Anatomy results were out online. I had yet to check it, but i had a feeling i failed. And now, when i least expected it, two police riders had to come by in their fluorescent green vests proudly scouting those tortoise-shell helmets with letters that plainly spelled out POLICE.
DARN.

"Do you have any ID on you? Drivers licence?"

No, i thought. That's why i am riding! (and without a helmet, i might add ;)

They saw my student ID conveniently dangling from the side of my pants. I had it attached to one of those gadgets that let you pull it out and bleep it against the sensors that let us into our labs and locker rooms.
Thank God (and my lucky stars) that they didnt charge me! It was AUD50 for the offense, and it was double demerits this weekend.
Phew. From now on i guess i have to settle with the tortoise on my head.

P.S i passed anatomy! and it wasn't a borderline pass! :) HAPPINESS!

No comments: